Monday, January 5, 2015

L3 build - Fin Beveling.

Beveling fins is quite possibly my least favorite part in rocket construction. I brand new belt sander helped easy my pain a bit. I clamped a small basswood support onto the edge of the sander. The fins rest on this and the sanding belt. I could change the angle of the bevel based on how far the fin was offset from this support. 
I picked up this belt sander from harbor freight for about $60. Gone are the days of hand beveling! 
I marked lines about 2in from fin edges where the fins would rest on the support.

Here's how the whole setup works. Very simple. 

Not too bad for a first shot! 
I did all 4 of these in about an hour. That's maybe 1/5 the time it would have taken by hand. 


2 comments:

  1. That's a great method- I'm gonna try that on my next build.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete